Helping first-time homebuyers reach their dreams.
Virginia Housing Down Payment Assistance (DPA) grant can provide eligible first-time homebuyers with funds needed for their down payment.
Take the first step to see if you may qualify for this grant by contacting a Virginia Housing-approved lender:
Effective January 11, 2017
About Virginia Housing Down Payment Assistance Grant:
- Qualified first-time homebuyers may receive a percentage of the purchase price to help with the down payment.
- Maximum grant will be 2 - 2.5 % of the purchase price, based on the down payment required for the eligible Virginia Housing loan.
- Minimum credit score: FHA 620 , Fannie Mae 660
- Maximum 45.00% DTI
- Buyers must have household incomes at or below program limits.
- Down Payment Assistance Grant may be used with eligible Virginia Housing loans only.
- Grant funds may not be used in combination with other down payment assistance resources (including FHA Plus).
- Down Payment Assistance Grant has no repayment.
- Virginia Housing eligible first mortgage must be locked on or after the program implementation date.
- The eligible first mortgage must be locked prior to reserving the grant funds.
- All borrowers receiving this grant are eligible for a Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC). Borrowers must apply for an MCC through an approved MCC lender and receive an MCC commitment / approval prior to closing. (An MCC is a dollar-for-dollar credit against your federal income tax liability. For information about MCCs, visit vhda.com/MCC.)
- Other program requirements may apply. Contact a Virginia Housing lender to discuss all eligibility requirements.